Clinical Documentation Specialist (CDS), PIH Health Downey Hospital ; HIM, Full time, 7am - 3:30pmApply Now Hospital Name PIH Health Downey Hospital Location Downey, California Job Type Full-Time/Regular Job ID 14976-977 Date posted 02/17/2022
PIH Health is a nonprofit, regional healthcare network that serves approximately 3 million residents in the Los Angeles County, Orange County and San Gabriel Valley region. The fully integrated network is comprised of PIH Health Hospital - Whittier, PIH Health Hospital - Downey and PIH Health Good Samaritan Hospital, 27 outpatient medical locations, a multispecialty medical (physician) group, home healthcare services and hospice care, as well as heart, cancer, women’s health, urgent care and emergency services.
The organization is recognized by Watson Health as one of the nation’s Top Hospitals, and College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) as one of the nation’s top hospital systems for best practices, cutting-edge advancements, quality of care and healthcare technology. PIH Health is certified as a Great Place to Work TM. For more information, visit PIHHealth.org or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
The Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist will be responsible for facilitating clinically appropriate documentation of all patient conditions, treatments, and interventions to accurately reflect the reason for admission, conditions present on admission, quality of care, severity of illness, and risk of mortality to support correct coding, reimbursement and quality initiatives.
- Clinical experience with an Acute Care Inpatient background in Critical Care or Emergency Department.
- Experience with criteria-based chart review, such as Case Management, Utilization management, Managed Care, Quality Improvement.
- Knowledge of ICD-10, the MS-DRG structure, HAC’s, PSI’s, value based purchasing, bundled payments, accountable care organizations and readmission reduction programs.
- Ability to reference and interpret CMS guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Must work independently in performing duties with minimal supervision with a high degree of self-motivation.
- Critical thinking, creative problem solving and conflict management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of pharmacology and pathophysiology and disease processes.
- Computer savvy: Microsoft Office/Suite proficient.
- Excellent verbal communication skills for face to face interactions with physicians, to foster relationships of clinical skills and information sharing.
- Ability to write queries that are concise and easily understood by the provider in order to garner additional information and clarification of documentation.
- Ability to develop and maintain supportive, collaborative relationships with physicians and other clinical professionals.
- Strong attention to detail: highly organized.
- Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from accredited School in Nursing with BSN and current licensure as a RN in the State of California; or International Physician Medical graduate.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in Critical Care or Emergency Department nursing or physician clinical experience.
- Familiarity with ICD-10 and knowledge of the AHA Coding Clinic preferred.
- CCS, CCDS, or CDIP combined with hospital-based clinical experience preferred.
Beyond the benefits that come with working for the area's leading community healthcare provider – one that also recognizes the need to ensure patient safety and comfort – you'll enjoy an extremely competitive compensation and benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek diversity in our workforce. EOE M/F/D/V