Director, Hospital Risk Management (Los Angeles)Apply Now Job ID 9415-977 Date posted 04/29/2020
Collaborates with organizational leadership, physicians, and staff to help develop, implement, monitor, and evaluate PIH Health’s Enterprise Risk Management Plan. Responsible for facilitating the ongoing transition from a retrospective, reactive model for risk management to a prospective, proactive loss prevention, harm reducing patient safety program. Identify risks to the hospital by performing clinical risk assessments, reviewing past incidents and claims, hospital loss and liability reports, and local and national hospital-related incident or risk data and statistics. Monitors the actions of hospital staff and their work environments to evaluate issues of compliance with existing policies and procedures.
Investigates any incidences that may result in patient, visitor, staff, physician injury, property damage, and asset loss. Makes reports to management and staff on risk trends and risk management activities impacting the hospital. Perform patient/visitor service recovery as well as coordinate the investigation and response to hospital complaints and grievances. Represents risk management in root cause analysis, disaster management, Ethics and Patient Rights and leadership meetings. Evaluates all potentially compensable events, claims and lawsuits for underlying issues and identifies opportunities for improvement and addresses lessons learned. Participates in medical malpractice and general liability claims management process.
Reviews changes in legislation and regulations and provides pertinent guidance and recommendations. Educates employees about risk, liability, risk management issues, and policies and procedures. Develops risk management training programs and presents directly to staff, leadership, and physicians about risk issues. Educates contractors and outside healthcare practitioners affiliated with the hospital and discusses with them risk-related changes they need to make. Additionally, a risk manager reviews hospital and practitioner medical malpractice and liability insurance and makes insurance coverage recommendations.
- Critical thinking skills; ability to ascertain key points, investigate and analyze information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to function independently.
- Excellent customer service skills; ability to balance client satisfaction with the overall financial ramifications to organization.
- Assertive without being aggressive.
- Capable of comfortably interacting with all levels of staff within the enterprise.
- Capable of debating a point of view.
- Knowledge of healthcare risk reduction strategies.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements, state and federal laws.
- Respond to multiple duties simultaneously.
- RN/Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5 years strong clinical experience in a healthcare setting.
- CPHRM preferred.
- Master’s degree
Beyond the benefits that come with working for the area's leading community healthcare provider – one that also recognizes the need to ensure patient safety and comfort – you'll enjoy an extremely competitive compensation and benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek diversity in our workforce. EOE M/F/D/V