Financial Counselor, PIH Health Hospital Whittier; Admitting, On Call, 8:30 am -5pmApply Now Hospital Name PIH Health Whittier Hospital Location Whittier, California Job Type PRN Job ID 16466 - 977 Date posted 06/20/2022
We’re a nonprofit, regional healthcare network with two hospitals, numerous outpatient medical offices, a multi-specialty medical (physician) group, home healthcare services and hospice care, as well as heart, cancer and emergency services. Our leadership is dedicated to putting patients first—a cornerstone of our mission, vision and values—as we deliver top-quality healthcare.
From our extensive facilities in Whittier, California and Downey, California, PIH Health serves more than two million residents in Los Angeles and Orange Counties and throughout the San Gabriel Valley.
The Financial Counselor ensures reimbursement to PIH Health from patients or other responsible parties and assists patients in understanding their health care insurance coverage by determining eligibility, benefits, authorization and utilization requirements and patient liability for specific department(s). The Financial Counselor is responsible for up-front collections and securing patients accounts by setting up appropriate financial arrangements with patients to avoid bad debt. The Financial Counselor, when appropriate, assists patients in accessing programs such as Medi-Cal, VVC, Uncompensated Care, Cobra coverage or Covered California. ED & Urgent LDRP: Interaction with patients will only happen after a medical screening exam has been performed. All patients are seen regardless of their insurance coverage or their ability to pay. Attains and maintains the AAHAM Certified Revenue Cycle Specialist CRCS Certification.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of PIH Health mission and values
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Excellent English communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with staff, patients/guarantors, insurance companies and physicians.
- Excellent English reading, comprehension and written skills to include spelling skills and penmanship
- Ability to follow directions as outlined in policies or given by supervisor
- Strong computer skills to include typing 40 wpm minimum
- Mature, dependable and conscientious
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment at times of need and emergency situations
- Bilingual preferred
- Welcomes the opportunity to take on new responsibilities and challenges
- Demonstrates flexibility in adapting to change
- Must have one to two years of experience in a medical office or hospital registration/admitting including one year of experience in insurance verification and/or medical/hospital billing
- High school graduate required or equivalent, prefer evidence of continuing education
- Knowledge of eligibility requirements for Medi-Cal, Medicare, Covered California, Cobra, limited benefit plans, VVC and Uncompensated Care Programs.
- IPA knowledge.Medical terminology or demonstrated proficiency within six months of hire date (via a course or self guided study program)
- Excellent communication skills
- AAHAM Certified Revenue Cycle Specialist CRCS Certification required within one year of hire date
Beyond the benefits that come with working for the area's leading community healthcare provider – one that also recognizes the need to ensure patient safety and comfort – you'll enjoy an extremely competitive compensation and benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek diversity in our workforce. EOE M/F/D/V