Optimize your job search based on your profileStart Matching
Financial Counselor, AdmittingApply Now Hospital Name PIH Health Downey Hospital Location Downey, California Job Type Part-Time Job ID 19079-977 Date posted 04/13/2023
We’re a nonprofit, regional healthcare network with two hospitals, numerous outpatient medical offices, a multi-specialty medical (physician) group, home healthcare services and hospice care, as well as heart, cancer and emergency services. Our leadership is dedicated to putting patients first—a cornerstone of our mission, vision and values—as we deliver top-quality healthcare.
From our extensive facilities in Whittier, California and Downey, California, PIH Health serves more than two million residents in Los Angeles and Orange Counties and throughout the San Gabriel Valley.
The Financial Counselor ensures reimbursement to PIH Health Hospital - Downey from patients or other responsible parties and assists patients in understanding their health care insurance coverage by determining eligibility, benefits, authorization and utilization requirements and patient liability for specific department(s). The Financial Counselor is responsible for up-front collections and financial arrangements, and when appropriate, assists patients in accessing programs such as Medi-Cal and Financial Assistance.
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with staff, patients/guarantors, insurance companies and physicians.
- Excellent English reading, comprehension and written skills to include spelling skills and penmanship
- Ability to follow directions as outlined in policies or given by Supervisor
- Strong computer skills to include typing 40 wpm minimum
- Mature, dependable and conscientious
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment at times of need and emergency situations
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred
- Must have a minimum one (1) year of experience in physician and/or hospital registration/admitting is required
- One year experience in insurance verification and/or medical/hospital billing
- High school graduate required or equivalent, prefer evidence of continuing education
- Knowledge of eligibility requirements for Medi-Cal, Medicare and Uncompensated Care Programs.
- Strong IPA knowledge
- Medical terminology or demonstrated proficiency within six months of hire date (via a course or self guided study program)
- Excellent communication skills
- AAHAM CPAT or CAHAM Certification required within one year
Beyond the benefits that come with working for the area's leading community healthcare provider – one that also recognizes the need to ensure patient safety and comfort – you'll enjoy an extremely competitive compensation and benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek diversity in our workforce. EOE M/F/D/V
11500 Brookshire Ave.